Family Dentist Near San Tan Valley AZ
Having a root canal is when you need to repair and save a damaged or infected tooth. This procedure involves removing the damaged area of the tooth, the pulp, cleaning and disinfecting the tooth, and then filling it and sealing it. #martindental The common cause that causes someone to need a root canal is a cracked tooth, a deep cavity, repeated treatment to the tooth, or trauma. A root canal received its name because your dentist is literally cleaning the canals of the tooth’s root.
If you think you may need a root canal, speak to your dentist. There are several steps that occur and it will take a few office visits. Family Dentist Near San Tan Valley AZ
- X-ray: When a dentist thinks you may need a root canal, an xray will be taken to show where exactly the decay is located.
- Anethesia: Local anesthesia will be given to the affected tooth. Having a root canal isn’t any more painful than a filling.
- Pulpectomy: This is when an opening is made and the diseased tooth pulp is removed.
- Filling: The roots would have been opened, this is what gets rid of the diseased pulp, and then are filled with gutta-percha material and sealed off with cement. Family Dentist Near San Tan Valley AZ
After having a root canal, you can expect it to last a lifetime as long as proper care is given. Root canals have a high success rate, so here are a few ways to help you care for your teeth after a root canal:
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brush at least twice a day and floss once a day. #smilewithconfidence
- Visit your dentist regularly. Your dentist and hygienists will clean and exam your teeth.
- Avoid hard foods. If you chew on foods like ice, it can cause the teeth to break and harm the root canals.