Best Dentist Chandler, AZ Helps TMJ/TMD Relief
TMJ or TMD is a malfunction of the temporomandibular joint which is the joint on opposite sides of the head where jawbones meet. TMJ may leave you feeling pain in your jaw, frequent migraines, or other headaches.
Often, individuals never think this is because of a problem in their mouth and oral health problems.
As drastic as it sounds, your affordable dentist, Chandler, AZ, can reduce TMJ pain.
Here you can learn more about this overstimulation of jaw problem.
What Symptoms of TMJ Can I Experience?
An individual may experience ailments unrelated to his or her mouth. To aid you in understanding what you may feel from TMJ syndrome, here are a few of the signs you may encounter.
- Popping of the jaw while opening or closing the mouth
- The jaw locks in the open or closed position
- You suffer from ringing in the ears for no apparent reason
- You have headaches, nausea, or pain in or near your ears
- Puffiness on one side of the face
- Aching face or feeling tired
- Aching neck or shoulders
- A toothache from chewing
Your local dentist, Chandler, AZ, may be able to explain why this pain is occurring once you've had a thorough examination.
Determining what's causing it for yourself may be nearly impossible. Some things can lead to this, and you can learn what's underlying it.
- Lots of gum
- You're wearing braces
- You are under stress or anxiety
- You grind teeth at night
- There is damage to the joint cartilage due to arthritis
Helpful TMJ Advice from Your Chandler, AZ Dentist
The following can assist with TMJ, but it is wise to consult your local dentist to find the optimal treatment to alleviate your symptoms and pain.
- Use soft foods to reduce chewing.
- Improvement of your sitting posture
- Blocking of excessive jaw movement - this means stopping chewing gum
- Keep your jaw apart as often as possible
- Apply hot or cold compresses to the jaw for about 10 minutes at a time.
A local dentist may suggest using painkillers, but a more permanent solution is better than relying on medication.
Finding a TMJ/TMD Specialist Dentist in Chandler, AZ
The best dentist may not want to do surgery unless he or she can solve the problem by other means.
A competent dentist may recommend NightGuard Therapy in conjunction with facial exercises that will help relax the face and jaw. You can also find out if a lifestyle change may be enough to cure this problem.
To find the right solution for you, you can contact Marin Dental here, or fill out the form, and the staff will contact you.